General Symptoms of Back Injuries
Back injuries, whether in the mid-back (thoracic) or lower back (lumbar), can have a serious impact on your daily life. While a sore back is completely natural after strenuous activities, if you have persistent or severe pain you should see a specialist.
Some common symptoms of a larger back issue may be:
- Nighttime back pain
- Persistent aching or stiffness along your spine
- Inability to stand without significant pain
- Sharp, localized pain along back
- Numbness or tingling in arms or legs
SMOC is the best resource in determining the management options for patient care from conservative, non-invasive treatments such as simple exercises and stretching, to more involved surgical procedures. The goal of our spine specialists, Dr. Goss, Dr. Fox and Dr. Guinand, is recovery of joint function.
Physical Signs You Should Seek the Care of a SMOC Physician Immediately:
- Changes in bowel and bladder function, causing incontinence or difficulty controlling bowel movements.
- Muscle weakness in the legs, a feeling of instability when you walk, or progressive decrease in the distance that you can walk.
- Pain or numbness that travels down your legs, especially when it is worse with sneezing, coughing or sitting down.
Treatments Available from SMOC
SMOC physicians have extensive experience in back injuries and can both diagnose and treat your injury.
- Exercise Schedules
- Physical Therapy
- Flouroscopic Guided Epidural Steroid Injections
- Sacroiliac Joint and Facet Joint Injections
- Kyphoplasty Surgery for Compression Fractures
- Inter Body Fusions
- Total Disc Replacement Surgery
Areas of Specialties Include
- Disc Problems
- Spinal Stenosis
- Cervical and Lumbar Fractures
- Spinal Degeneration
- Disc Replacement Surgery
- Spinal Fusion
- Anterior and Posterior Surgery
- Interbody Fusion/Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
The below links to articles and related information can be helpful in understanding joint pain, its causes and possible treatments. If you are suffering from joint pain, please schedule an appointment to discuss your options.
True Stories From Our Patients
Read what our patients are saying about their experience with their SMOC team.
SAY “YES” TO LIFE WITHOUT LIMITS
CALL 757-547-5145 to speak to someone right away
or use our easy online form, and a member of our team will contact you to confirm.